If you’re a busy athlete (and if you’re a triathlete, you’re busy for sure), chances are your friends are always wondering when do you have some free time for a meeting, going out or doing something that does not typically involve swimming, cycling, or running.
If you would like to give them a rough overview of your training schedule, and if you’re using Garmin Connect platform, here’s a short instruction on how to expose your training plan to anyone interested what are you doing on given Sunday afternoon (hint: you’re most probably having your long run 🙂
On your behalf, you should go to your Garmin Connect profile and share your calendar.
- From your Garmin Connect page, choose Calendar from the left menu.
- From the top-right menu (…), choose Publish Calendar.
- Agree with notification, that your training calendar becomes public to everyone with the link.
- Copy a link provided and share it with anyone interested.
- If you would like to make your calendar private again, repeat steps above and click Unpublish.
From now on, any of your friends or relatives, who would like to know what are you up to any given day, can see it using this calendar link. Then they can add it to their calendars, like Google Calendar, Microsoft Outlook or Apple iCal.
If they are using Google calendar, here’s the short instruction.
- From your Google Calendar page, find Other calendars in the left-side menu and press the + sign. From the menu, choose From URL.
- Paste the URL and without ticking any checkboxes, press Add calendar.
- The calendar will be added in a short while, however, it will have URL as its name, so you may want to rename it (or choose a different color to make the workouts stand out):
- In the Other calendars list in the left-side menu, press the menu sign (three vertical dots) and choose Settings.
- If you do not want to follow the athlete anymore, there are two options:
- Hiding calendar events by unticking the checkbox next to the calendar or choosing Hide from list from the calendar menu
- Unsubscribing from the calendar by pressing X sign next to the calendar name (see picture above). Unsubscribing from the calendar will remove it permanently from the list and you’ll have to add the calendar URL again to be able to follow the athlete.
Remember, that this link is not somehow password-protected, so share it only with people that you trust.